Anyone who has any touch of a sweet tooth understands that from time to time, we all crave something sweet! How to handle such a situation when you’re working on your health and trying to lose weight? Calories are precious commodities in our plans, as is the fat and carbs we try to limit to some degree in order to meet our goals!
So here are some of the things I’ve used for under 200 calories:
- Apple sliced up with cinnamon on it.
- Apple sliced up with a tablespoon of peanut butter to dip.
- Banana with peanut butter to dip (obviously the banana’s slippery lol, so you might need a spoon or fork!)
- Peaches, nectarines, plums, grapes, strawberries, basically any fruit that has a satisfying sweet taste is great!
- Fruit with low calorie whip cream on top!
- Canned fruit mixed with applesauce, yum! Low calorie too with lite syrup or water based canned fruit and unsweetened applesauce, around 100-120 calories. Even diced fresh strawberries in applesauce is delicious!
- Unsweetened applesauce with a little bit of cinnamon mixed in.
- Yogurt (regular/Greek) either with fruit or other dessert flavor or with fresh fruit added in.
- Greek yogurt with peanut butter and/or bananas mixed in.
- Low calorie pudding with fresh fruit mixed in, I prefer vanilla with diced banana.
- Fiber One brownies occasionally since they are only 90 calories and really hit the spot for me.
- Skinny Cow ice creams, which come in a variety of flavors and kinds with low calories.
- Ice cream cone from McDonald’s is only 170 calories, less if you get the kiddie cone! This is great for those rare treats or when you go out with your kids and want a small treat to enjoy with them.
- And my recent cravings buster of chocolate Shakeology, which is 160 calories and packed full of nutrients such as protein and fiber.
Most of these packaged foods are only occasional as I don’t keep many of them in the house on a regular basis, but they are good on the occasion that we do have them. I especially like the Fiber One brownies because I can keep them in my own space (away from grabby hands) and eat one as needed or throw them in my purse for when I’m on the go. I have by no means cut out processed foods entirely, and still turn to them pretty often, but it is something I am working on as I continue my journey. It is a process and sometimes I do better than others!
Some of these could even serve as dessert with your dinner, or as an evening snack as most are really low calorie and/or healthy on some level.
So when you’re having a sweet attack, try something from this list and see if it works for you!
What are your go-to sweet treats that are low calorie and/or healthy? Do you have anything to add to this list? I know I didn’t list everything, because there are still so many options, so feel free to share with us! Passing along what you use to healthily bust those sweets cravings can really help others in their own journeys!
As of Monday, I have officially been drinking Shakeology for a month… and what a month of benefits it has been! At first, I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical of how a shake could help me more than just providing protein and being something tasty to drink. I wasn’t sure these Shakeology shakes would actually make that big of an impact on my health and daily life. However, since they tasted so good and were a good snack replacement as I added them into my daily routine, I kept up with them. Within five days, I started to notice that I had slightly more energy and that has slowly increased with time. Then within three weeks, I started to notice that besides simply building muscle with my workouts, I was realizing that Shakeology was making a difference with muscle soreness the day after an intense workout.
By a week into drinking these shakes, I was a big believer! And here’s why:
- Shakeology has superfood ingredients- From protein to vitamins and minerals, and many other wonderful ingredients. Some of the others are antioxidants, pre- and probiotics, and digestive enzymes. All of these lovely ingredients are what makes it so beneficial to our health. These things pack a punch to give me the energy, full feeling, and reduce soreness in my muscles the day after an intense workout.
- It tastes great, especially with some awesome recipes- There are so many things you can do with Shakeology to create a delicious tasting shake, such as adding fruit, veggies, cinnamon, and many more delicious and healthy additions that combine to make it an even more delectable treat or meal!
- Shakeology helps reduce hunger and sweets cravings- I have noticed that these shakes help me feel less hungry, and help squash those sweet tooth cravings. Let me tell you, I have always had a huge sweet tooth. It’s not that I have wanted to sit and eat nothing but sugary foods, but I have always looked forward to having them and wanted them on a daily basis. The Shakeology shakes, especially the chocolate ones, have really helped me with my cravings. They are a treat, in and of themselves, yet healthy at the same time!
- They help with muscle soreness- Like I mentioned earlier, they really have been helping with my muscle soreness. I can do a more intense workout, such as TurboFire, and the next day, I don’t feel quite as sore… because I am getting stronger and have also been drinking these shakes! With the protein punch, and other valuable ingredients such as those listed above, help my muscles recover faster and I don’t have such a long period of extremely sore muscles!
- It has increased my energy levels- Shakeology gives me the energy boost I need to get through my days with less napping or resting. I used to need a daily nap. While I still need one some days, it’s more like half of the time rather than every day. If I drink my shake an hour before starting a workout, I have found that it also gives me an energy boost in my workout as well, and that is such an awesome feeling. I hadn’t done it on purpose the first time, but I was pleasantly surprised when I felt even stronger and more energized for the workout. So I have been working on timing my lunchtime shake for right before my workout!
- Shakeology is actually filling- I have to say that this one was the most surprising benefit of drinking the shakes that I have experienced so far! I wasn’t expecting it to be filling at all, as I had never experienced that with any other protein shake. However, Shakeology is not just any protein shake. It has so much more inside of it that makes it filling. Some of the things that help it be more filling are the flax, quinoa, super-fruits, and super-greens.
These are just a few of the most amazing things that I have experienced in just one month of drinking Shakeology. I can’t wait to see what continued results and benefits I see as I keep drinking it!
Have you tried Shakeology? If so, what is your favorite flavor? And if not, what keeps you from trying it?